Monday, May 17, 2010

Pedal Magic

"I WANT TO RIDE WITHOUT TRAINING WHEELS,"
was Ethan's mantra for the last several weeks.


After doing the run behind thing without much success I remembered the "Pedal Magic" website my brother raved about.

So I paid my 20.00 smackers and Ethan and I watched the 15 minute video.

After we better understood the mechanics of balance and practiced the skills they taught he was off! I should add that the video only addresses staying up not so much pushing off to get started and braking to stop.

It took about two days of practicing before he really got it but within minutes of starting his crashes became minimal. It was amazing. I recommend Pedal Magic to anyone ready to lose those trainers. Now we are working on proper braking to stop instead of just dragging the feet and starting on his own. He does think it's funny to run into the curb at full speed and get flipped off the bike. I am encouraging him NOT to do this.

It's not all hard work, we goof off a bit too.

And of course G wants to get in on the action too.
So glad to have gotten another LIFE SKILL out of the way before it becomes 110 degrees!
We must be acclimating because 104 doesn't seem so bad some days.....it must be the dry heat.

I did however, get my butt outta bed at 5am to ride in the 80's today instead of 100's. It was wonderful because I didn't run out of water and was able to average 2mph faster.

If anyone would have told me two years ago that I would ride a bike in 100 degree weather for fun I would have said they were insane...but now...it's just me that's a bit crazy.

2 comments:

  1. We're ready to review Pedal Magic again for Connor! Glad it worked for E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love riding at 5am, but for different reasons. I do it to have the city to myself, well mostly to myself.

    ReplyDelete