Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Game Of Life

We've been playing A LOT of Uno lately. A few months back the Reynolds had Zach over one evening and taught him the game. He came home raving about it asking if we could PLEASE get some Uno cards. He was shocked when I told him we did have some in the drawer already. Both he and Ethan picked up the game very quickly and has now become a family favorite.

Since they were doing so well with that one I decided they might also like the game of Life. Last weekend on our Friday home I pulled it out and was correct......they LOVED IT.

Ethan was an absolute RIOT!

I had no idea anyone his age would be so excited about first getting married (a lot of arm pumping and "YESSSSS!" being said) and secondly even more excited about having kids (much jumping up and down).

I was pretty far along in the game and still hadn't landed on any spaces that gave me children when he and Zach happily had mostly full cars. Then I came to a split in the road where I could choose between having a son or taking a significant amount of money......I chose the money. When I did so Ethan had this look of absolute disgust on his face and asked, "You would rather take the money than have a kid?" I replied that in this case I would. He taking this game seriously was appalled with my decision. I new there were more chances for children in the game and they did come, but in my mind I was thinking You my child, You are the reason I am thinking twice about having more children.

Later E lost his car insurance for reckless driving. When I took the insurance he had a grumpy face and said, "GRRR. I am not a bad driver!"

As for Zach I was intrigued by the lessons he learned. It didn't take long for him to understand that certain choices along the way were risky and what decisions might help you invest for the future. At one point I was very much in debt. He was very concerned about this an offered to help me out as he was quite well off. I told him that it was important for me to try and pay my own debts first but thanks for offering. Then I landed on a Lucky Day and told him that it meant I could take a small amount of cash as a gift or gamble for big money. I was surprised how well he had caught on and said, "Mom, don't risk the spin. The chances are not good that you will land on the numbers and you are so much in debt it would be better just to take the gift money even if it's less. Besides, we aren't supposed to gamble anyway." So I followed his advice.

I hadn't remembered so many REAL life lessons in this game and was pleasantly surprised at the lessons my boys have already learned in their short lives.

3 comments:

  1. I loved this post. What awesome boys you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that game as a kid and want to try it with S and C now. They love Uno too but are Really into dominoes right now, and are surprising good at it. Must run in the family:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried playing "Skip Bo" with your boys? It is a fun game and little guys can catch on pretty well. It is good for teaching numbers and fun too!

    BTW...I have squeaky clean teeth thanks to your fabulous sister who got me all fixed up and ready to head over to Borneo next week. It was great to visit with her and see her cute face and smile! Lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete