Friday, February 19, 2010

FHE Overhaul

As a teacher in Italy we tried to come up with the most "effective" ways of teaching. However, sometimes our approaches ended up "less effective" despite our best efforts, or what we thought were our best efforts.

Over the last few months our FHEs have gone done hill....way down hill and become less effective. Chris & I decided we needed an FHE overhaul.

We had a cute FHE chart my friend designed a few years back giving everyone a job. However, I found that the boys just liked to rearrange it instead of following it. Then when it didn't survive the move we just didn't use one. In Enrichment we made some simple lessons totally appropriate for my kids ages but despite our best efforts the only burning we felt were our own tempers rising or putting out fires between children.

With our last move I decided to go digital so I didn't bring many crafting supplies. So with the few odds and ends I did have I came up with this new chart. The letters have magnets on the back so we can just rotate each week. Family scriptures is a "?" because it one, leaves space for a future Jenkins and two, it is a part we all do together anyway.

We decided the older two can come up with their own lessons and Graham can just pick a previously prepared one. I initiated the new family program with a preparedness lesson. We talked about fire safety, escape plans, and practiced our family response to camp emergencies.

Finally after months and months it went well. Everyone was excited to have a job and looked forward to their turn.


I hardly had to remind Zach that he was due for his lesson. I asked if there was anything he needed my help for in preparation but he seemed to have everything under control. He just needed me to call the bowling alley and make sure it wasn't club night.

His amazing lesson was about when Lehi's family departed into the wilderness. Here he was demonstrating what would happen to them if they didn't listen to the Lord.

After the wonderful story/demo he invited us all to go bowling because.......
bowling balls are heavy and Lehi's family had to carry a lot of heavy things on their journey.

We were really proud of him and are excited to see what he plans in the future.

Since we started the revamped program we have had fewer distractions since everyone knows ahead of time who gets to do what. Plus, they know they will each have a turn to decide what we do.
I think the boys are just the right age to do this because they do have opinions and we are working on taking turns and they still enjoy doing things together as a family.

1 comment:

  1. So glad its successful! Sometimes its just that you keep doing it, even when things seem less then effective.

    ReplyDelete