Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Recent Reads

One of the "Joys" of Breast Feeding is sitting down and reading. Otherwise, it doesn't happen much for me. Part of the problem is finding time but another problem is if I really like a book I don't want to do anything but read it.

I recently read


Girls of Riyadh by Rajaa Alsanea
This one I found very interesting, as it helped me to better understand some of the social customs here. It is a compilation of e-mails about a group of Saudi girls who grew up in Riyadh. It tells of their relationship experiences and how they felt about growing up in the most strict of Arab countries. One thing I found interesting is that as soon as these women left Saudi they all took off their Abayas. 
It also shows the pain of arranged marriages and their struggles to find true love in a veiled society. My heart really went out to these women and the trials they faced. I know this is just a sampling of the culture and not all Saudi women have these same experiences. Also, they clearly think their relationships would have been better if social customs were different. This may be true however, I think there is potential for misery in dating and marriage even if you get to choose for yourself face to face.
It also made me appreciate even more what an amazingly blessed individual I am and reminded me again that marrying Chris was the best decision I have every made.
Then I couldn't put this one down!


The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

This would be an awesome book club read as it magnifies some of our social issues. It shows the future of Extreme Reality TV covering a magnitude of social issue, demonstrating true love and sacrifice in various forms. I could just go on and on but you've just got to read it for yourself.
It will give you a lot to think about and leave you wanting more...but you'll have to wait because the sequel doesn't come out until September.
I heard they're making a movie of it as well. It's funny- the book is all about how violence being used for entertainment and how vile that is...

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the book recommendations! I just ordered The Hunger Games from Amazon. I have a list of my favorites too, on my blog. If you want some awesome reads, those ones are so good. Please let me know if you find anymore. I LOVE good books!!

    ReplyDelete