Monday, March 23, 2009

How's Your Dog?

I came across this article in my radiology professional magazine ASRT Scanner, Feb./Mar. 2009 , Vol.41 No.3 pg. 10.

They say you're better off not knowing how laws are passed and hot dogs are made, but x-rays now are showing us things you really would rather know about before you take a bite.

Packworld.com reported that a leading hot dog manufacturer (which prefers not to be identified) installed x-ray inspection systems on its packaging lines last year. The electronically controlled, low-power x-ray generators and image analysis software allow the manufacturer to detect bone, stone, glass, wood, plastic and metal in its products and packaging.

When the plant was built several years ago, the manufacturer installed metal detectors - then considered the state of the art - on every line. The new x-ray systems represent the "next level" in quality assurance and food safety.


This totally turns my stomach! I have not been a hot dog eater since about age 8. This just reconfirms why. Now that I am here I have have been super picky about meat. We try to buy only US beef but it isn't always available at our commissary. Last weekend Chris was in a local grocery store and talking to me on the phone. As he passed the meat counter all of the sudden he just about heaved right there because the stench of death and rotten meat was so bad he just had to get away ASAP.

Part of me really wants to be a vegetarian here but I just still like meat.

On a totally separate note - OUR STUFF IS HERE! THE MOVERS WILL BE HERE TOMORROW.

4 comments:

  1. Yuck! I don't think I needed to know all of that. I remember the meat when I was in Israel, just like Chris experienced, gross.

    No, I really like reading all that you guys are experiencing, its really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, thanks for sharing that. Wow, it just makes you want to just eat horse meat. I can't believe you're getting your magazine out there. That's hilarious. Where's your nearest temple??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do they have tofu? I agree hot dogs are gross! I sometimes by the kosher, 100% beef ones for my kids. Maybe even if they have glass and misc. trash it has been blessed and won't kill them.
    YEAH for your stuff coming!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I truly could be a vegetarian if it wasn't for my quarterly hamburger cravings. We get fairly good meat here in Tokyo mostly from Australia. Michelle I love reading your blog. It appears that things in Saudi are haven't changed a lot since we lived there. The car buying process is exactly like I remember it. Your family is darling. If you want to see a little of life in Japan you can find us at www.rickandvanalee.com

    ReplyDelete