Saturday, January 24, 2009

Preschool Drop Out

Do you have one of these?
A child whose personality is larger than life.
Our Ethan is a constant riot. Constant being the important word. A good friend Tonya told me that the frustrating or crazy things her kids do have now just become great things to blog about. Well Ethan has plenty of fodder for this blog.
This child NEVER slows down. He even sleep walks now.
And you won't catch him in anything but these.....


He even gets to wear them to church now since his church shoes are traveling the world in our missing box. Rubber boots in a desert = STINKY FEET.
But what does a 3 year old boy care about stinky feet, snot wiped on his shirt, laying face down in the muddy gutter, or doing exactly what his mother has asked him NOT TO DO.

The other day he asked me why he has testimones. I wondered for a moment if he had actually been listening to something in church. So I asked, "Do you mean testimony?" he responded, "NO testimones." Then it dawned on me, "Oh, you mean testicles." Later he and Chris were talking and Chris was telling him how he helped fix broken testimonies and Ethan asked, "Are my testimones broken?"

He is brilliant! He plots and when the moment is right (i.e. I leave the room, nurse Graham, blink) he strikes. Tonight while feeding Graham, one of his dreams came true. I had forgotten to close and lock the bi-fold doors to our pantry. He climbed the shelves and took out the bag of chocolate chips. After sharing some with his brother (what a nice guy) he poured them into a strainer, stood in the middle of the kitchen table, and tossed them into the air saying, "Look at all the fish I caught." I was completely helpless as the chaos unfolded around me. I just kept praying Chris would get home soon. By the time Ethan had moved on to putting the entire bunch of grapes into the fishing net and started to climb onto the table again. I could not take it any longer as I got up to stop the insanity we were all saved by the bell. The doorbell that is as Chris had finally arrived home.

And, yes he really is a Preschool drop out. I signed him up and he didn't make it through the first week. He told me he would rather stay home and take a nap than go. Then he said something about not liking the snack and went off to engage in some other mischievously delightful adventure.
His independence isn't all bad he did practically potty train himself (he'll even drop trousers in the flower bed at church) and he does dress himself in the morning, and after he eats a snack, and after playing in the water, and after falling into the only puddle in the desert.



3 comments:

  1. Looks like you're having all sorts of fun.

    This is Meg Poulson, if you remember. I was living in Anchorage when you guys met and got married. Marjory has kept me updated on your kids, but now that you're half-way across the world I'm glad I found your blog. (I came across your blog from Sonny & Kath's.)

    I have a blog, too, if you want to check it out: mooresmusings (dot) blogspot (dot) com
    You'll see that I've gotten married and have twin girls. It's quite the experience having kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. T-R-O-U-B-L-E! You know it always makes me feel better, though to read about kids like him because DANG, sometimes I think mine are the only ones. Those boots are totally classic. You have to hang on to them and save them and give them to his wife as a family heirloom! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, Love, LOVE, your Ethan...He helps me smile when my Sadie is rollin...I remind myself that other people, Amazing people have crazy kids too. auuuugh, it's not our faults, it's not our faults....

    ReplyDelete