Thursday, June 30, 2011

He Speaks

Zach was asked to share some personal thoughts about family scripture study in front of our congregation of 100+ members a few weeks ago.

He was not super enthused to do so at first which surprised me because he has already participated in readings for a Children's Program last fall and then at Christmas stood and read our family's part of the program.

I came to find out it was that he just didn't know how to gather his thoughts about this subject. Once I got him to sit down and focus for a few minutes I began to as him questions such as: Where do we have scripture study? Why do we have scripture study? etc. etc.

The answers to these questions are below in an wonderfully written talk by Zachary.


Our family gathers every evening in the living room for scripture study. Sometimes it is quiet and peaceful but most of the time it is a bit crazy. Everyone takes turns reading or repeating words. When it is my turn I read many verses sometimes more than I have been asked to because I like to read the stories. Once I read 17 verses!

After we read our verses we talk about them. We discuss what they mean, we ponder them, we pray about them, and talk about how we can be more like our Savior.

Sometimes I don't understand the scriptures but Mom, Dad, and the Holy Ghost help me to understand them. One night I felt the Holy Ghost so much that I almost exploded with happiness. I wanted to read them for an hour.

I really like the story of Moses because he showed great faith to be able to free his people. I hope we can all have faith like that.

I know its important to read the scriptures so we can prepare for our Savior to come again.

I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ Amen.

1 comment: