Saturday, February 5, 2011

A Mommy Morning

What to do with a 3 day weekend....

Hop over to Bahrain for a movie, meal, and play? (Dang, Ethan's passport is in the renewal process.)

Add an extra day and live it up in Dubai? (Nope, no rooms available for our family size using Marriott points.)

Stay home and do nothing (Heck no, we just gotta get outta here.)

We settled on this....
Stay overnight in DHA with some of our favorite people, eat Chris' homemade Chocolate Cheese Cake, Cycle 100 miles, and have a MOMMY SHOPPING MORNING OUT!

After our Friday obligations instead of driving back to camp we camped out at the Reynold's home (so gracious of them). It was so fun to stay the night and actually hang out with our friends there and let the kids run wild. We stayed up late talking and then Chris got up at 5 AM to do a century ride with some DHA cycling buddies.

I however, got the kiddies up and over to a babysitter bright and early and went out with 4 other ladies to hit the souks and other antique shops that carry the most amazing Eastern/Asian and Middle Eastern wears. There are several shops all my big city friends frequent and find beautiful and unique jewelry, furniture, and clothes. Most of them are very well known in these shops so it was nice to have a driver and tour guide and no kids for the morning.
Just before noon prayer closes everything down for the afternoon we spent some time at Desert Designs. This amazing shop has so many items, mostly antique or refurbished of Middle Eastern design. I have loved many of the pieces in my friends' homes and hoped to one day own something of my own. I called Chris to check on his ride status and told him I'd seen some pieces I liked but wasn't really planning on purchasing anything. He was surprised and assured me that it was OK if I found something either way. Only moments after I hung up I changed my mind and decided to get this lovely cabinet. I had seen several people looking at it and discussing purchasing it. When they walked away without talking to a sales person I took my opportunity to buy this beaut before anyone else did. Apparently it had just come in today and unbeknown to me another lady in my group fell in love with it too but wasn't ready to commit.


Since they won't deliver out here I have to wait for Chris to bring it home in the next several weeks. Until then it will sit in my friends living room until it makes it's way to it's new home. Where I can admire it every time I walk down the hall.

1 comment:

  1. That is a gorgeous cabinet! Sounds like a great way to spend your weekend.

    ReplyDelete