Saturday, February 26, 2011

Experimenting With Color

I like that Mrs. H., Zach's Art Teacher, sends home a note at the beginning of each new unit explaining what the children will be doing, why they are doing it, and what they are to learn from it.


This time she wrote:

Paint is one of the best materials to use to teach color since it can be mixed easily. Children are fascinated to learn how to combine two colors to make a third, to add black to make a darker color and to add color to white to make a lighter one.

(Zach explained to me that this picture is of a hut with a mountain rising up behind it. The green and red are an apple orchard then a layer of mist obscures the rest of the mountain except for the trees on top.)

In art, we are beginning the unit experimenting with color. The approach is playful.


I will provide experiences in color that enable the student to better describe, appreciate and create color.

This piece I love but Zach said I could recycle it because it's not his best work. I'm a sucker for water color medium and love how he thinned out the paint on top giving it that watery effect.

And of course what better way to celebrate the 100th day of school then making some bean art using....you guessed it 100 beans. I actually really like this piece in it's retro kind of way. I think I'll cut it out and use it as a Christmas star or snowflake ornament.

1 comment:

  1. Nice artwork Zach! I really like how his teacher sends home the explanations too; wish more teachers did that.

    ReplyDelete