Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Tri Out

Almost one month ago our family started a weight loss challenge. All the child bearing women in our family have had children in the last two years. After getting together this summer we decided to get rid of that last bit of weight that has been hanging on. Our spouses (the ones that needed it) were up for the challenge as well. We put $50.00 each into the pot and after 90 days the winner takes all. But in the end we will all be winners if we become healthier.

I'm happy to say that as of yesterday I've lost 10.5 lbs. I am ANTI fad diets. My tactic is calories in (counting every single one of them that goes into my mouth.) And calories out working out 6 days a week. I've been consistent at working out for years so I just change things up a bit. As for calories I have not changed what I eat at all, other than fewer sweets. But I have cut my portions significantly. I also use the Lose It app on my iPhone to keep track of all my calories in and out.

Seriously other than when I'm nursing this has been the easiest time I've EVER had loosing weight but it does take discipline.

So when my friend emailed about starting a Tri group to prepare for a Sprint Triathlon I thought I'd check it out.


This first night was just to give everyone a taste of what it is like. We swam for 10 minutes. (I was sooooo slow and not strong at all.) Then we transitioned together and hopped on our bikes for a 10K ride. Not having been on my bike for 4 weeks I was really feeling it and wasn't able to keep up well at all and had to cut it a little short to make the next portion.
We then transitioned together again. By this point I was tired but kept going.


I was glad to know a few of the short cuts in camp and was able to finish with the ladies.

The best part were the happy hugs and kisses when I was all done.

Now I know that I need A LOT of work to get ready for something like this. So far all the Tri's in the Kingdom are on Fridays, our Sabbath. However, my friend says she wants organize one in the spring in our camp and it will be on a Thursday. So if that happens I won't have an excuse not to compete.


As you read this I will have been in Italy for a few days. When I return we can see what the pasta damage is. Luckily in Florence they don't put salt in their bread so at least that is a bit less appealing.

2 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work Michelle> As for the Sprint. You will love it in the end. I was sick for two months before my sprint but finished. Very satifying. The weight loss for us here is slow but steady. No weight gain. I have lost 8 lbs and still have a long ways to go to reach my goal. I have 32 total lbs to lose. Only 24 more to go. I won't get this done by November but I will keep at it even after our competition is over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I'll start to catch up with you while you're gone:) You are doing great, and its awesome you're trying a tri.

    ReplyDelete