Saturday, March 20, 2010

Insightful

I was always a little unsure of the art teacher or guide at the museum when they talk about art pieces saying things such as:
Oh, this color choice was used because of the rage he/she (the artist) felt at the time...
You can see by such and such that he/she was trying to say such and such...

How do they know??? Most of the artists didn't become famous until after they died so while still alive no one was asking them why they painted what they did or used a certain color.

But now I think there may be some truth to it.

The other morning at breakfast Ethan asked me what idiot meant. I explained it to him then he IMMEDIATELY yells, "Zach, You're such an IDIOT!"
Then we had to have yet another talk about choosing kind words, yada yada so on and so forth.

All the Kindergartners take a counseling class where they discuss good habits, how to treat one another, and other safety issues. The same day as the idiot episode Zach had an assignment to draw a picture of a time someone hurt your feelings with their words. They had discussed how words can hurt others or encourage them. They were reminded that teasing others can hurt their feelings and is not an acceptable way to speak to others. (I think this is awesome! Do all schools do this?)

I will explain what Zach said about it.


Ethan is telling me I'm an idiot. I am crying because it makes me sad. There is a broken heart at the top with tape to show we shouldn't hurt people's feeling. There is a devil crossed out above idiot saying Ethan shouldn't be mean like the devil. But here is the insightful part...in K class they are assigned a color for their behavior: green = no problems, yellow = one infraction, blue = time out, red = note to parents. Zach drew Ethan in yellow b/c he wasn't being nice and himself green because he hadn't done anything wrong.

So maybe there is something to this color choice thing. I thought that was really cool that he took his picture to that level of detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment