Friday, September 11, 2009

Motivational M&M's

When I potty trained Zach I began with the "Potty Train in a Day Method" which actually took about 6 months. It was a very frustrating time and the bad mom came out a lot. We would be in the bathroom and I would ask him if he needed to go. His response was always no then he would proceed to step out onto the carpet and pee. I think the combo of new house/new carpet/new baby brother was not a good mix. I was one of those "I'm not going to give my child candy as a reward moms." However, after the hugs and kisses and the happy potty dance reward didn't work I thought well maybe a baking size M&M would be alright. And alright it was, one for pee and three for poop and IT WORKED!
Ethan mostly potty trained himself by watching Zach but I was also more relaxed and used Pull-Ups a lot more. He did need a little encouragement and it came in the form of Gummy Bears.

Now I often find myself immediately doling out the highest consequence possible to get the fastest result...but that doesn't always work and frustration levels increase on both sides. To reign myself in and in hope of helping the boys with some behavioral issues we created the
M&M BANK
(I am not above paying them for good behavior but they took the M&M thing on first bite. Maybe when that wears out well move on to cash.)

Each morning the boys get 5 M&M's
If any of the below behaviors are demonstrated one M&M is taken away.

I picked the 3 worst at the moment for each to work on and it will change with time. Now if one of the boys is abusing the other and the victim does not retaliate they earn the M&M that was taken away.
Now on the flip side 3 M&Ms can be earned for any act of service, sharing, playing nicely, reverence during family prayer, and if they obey the 1st time we ask.
I wanted something visual they could see they were earning and that it wouldn't take long to get. They get to eat their earnings at the end of the week during popcorn and a movie. Zach totally crushed Ethan in the earnings the first week. The total was significant but I still don't think it even amounted to one full regular size bag. I do have to say the bad behaviors only somewhat improved this first week however, the service and helpfulness increased quite a bit so I do call that a success.
Now I just need a way to help the boys be reverent in Sacrament meeting. It seems like the older they get the worse they are not better.

3 comments:

  1. Good idea! Let me know if you get the Sacrament thing figured out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great idea! I'll log that away in my file for future use.
    My sister, Jaci, said the thing that actually helped her kids be reverent in Sac mtg was to bring...NOTHING. No quiet books, no quiet toys, no coloring pages, nothing. Now they just sit there quiet & bored...like the rest of us.

    (Did you know Jaci is preggers with her SIXTH!!!!????)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the rules! Especially Ethan's- Don't Say Poop. haha- Good luck... for some reason, boys love potty words.

    ReplyDelete