Friday, November 6, 2009

Curry Cook off

In Alaska each Sunday we would rotate eating at different family members homes.
We each had our specialties and rarely crossed over into the others domain.
At our house it was Mediterranean, my mother, good 'ol American meat and potatoes and Mexican dishes, and the elder Jenkins took care of all Southern dishes. Other than maybe a simple stir fry none of us really attempted Eastern dishes.

Chris and I really like Curry but never found any recipes that knocked our socks off. Then we went to Dubai....at the Jumerah Beach Hotel we ate a green curry that was so spicy good it made my nose run. I'd finally found a curry dish I liked above all others and it has become my ideal.

Because I was nursing I hesitated in trying many ethnic dishes here but no more....
to celebrate we went to the 3rd Annual UDH Curry Cook off.

This was not a cooking contest for amateurs as you were judge on...
Best Vegetarian Curry
Best Non Vegetarian Curry
Best Table Setting
&
Best Costume
There was also best kids costume.

Essentially you had to be the complete package.

This is my gorgeous friend from India and her Curry did not disappoint. We met when she started bringing her sweet daughter to my Cardio Kids class last Spring.

This Bahama Mamma made a Sweet Island Curry. Who knew the Bahamas could produce a family of blond haired blue eyed beauties? She is an amazing cook and as sweet as her Curry. Her food is so good if she can't make it to a potluck we will reschedule it until she can come.

Irene is from Kenya and works for my friend Maryanne. Before coming to Saudi Maryanne and her husband taught school in Kenya. Four children later they needed an extra pair of hands in the home so they were thrilled to be able to bring in Irene to help out. This women can COOK she loves to do it and it shows. Her Spicy Peanut Curry was a total hit with me and many others. The combo of the sweet peanut and just the right heat made me want to stop trying all the others and just have a plate full.

Akmed is from Bangladesh and is in charge of the stables here. The equestrian group sponsored him and boy did he represent. He made two dishes the first was a Lamb Curry. I am not a lamb fan but this was actually o.k. But the other dish he made was an amazing Lentil Curry. He was my first stop of the night and I was so impressed I knew I was in for a good night.

13 Tables later my votes were cast for some of the cooks above however, since they are ALL my friends I won't say who I voted for.

After everyone voted a 20' buffet was open for us to enjoy for the rest of the evening. I was so stuffed I couldn't even eat a single thing. I am not sure why they thought they needed that after everything we had sampled.

Unfortunately the boys behavior did not allow for us to remain until the winners were announced. I'll find out tomorrow.

This cutie is Lana from Zach's class. Not only does she distract Zach with her cuteness in school but she also plays soccer with him. Her little brother is too young for the team but he loves coming so much he has a hard time staying off the field.

2 comments:

  1. I am drooling and envious! Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I thought you were going to post some of these recipes. Could you, would you?

    ReplyDelete