Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sights of Siena

I know, I know you thought I was done. I've just been busy. Why is it now that I've got two out of the house and one sleeping for a two hour block the time just flies by.

Why Siena? The bus station was conveniently a half a block from our hotel and in just 1.5 hours time we'd be there. It is not a large city so we felt we could do it thoroughly in the time allotted. Also because Chris and I adore this city. We just had such a great time the first time we came that we try to relive it on each visit.

Italian's are known for their style. But if you'd asked me if green and pink pastel would work for a suit I'd have to respond that it would be a stretch even for them to pull it off.

O.K. so I m wrong. We passed this veccietto (older gentleman) on the street and he was so debonair I couldn't help myself. I had to capture him. He looked so smooth and I knew he was only out for his morning walk. They just know how to work it. Anywhere else in the world this would have been bad oh so bad.
Usually when I visit Italy I try and see what the latest fashion trend will be. Whatever the majority of women are sporting comes around as fashionable in America withing the next year. This is the first trip where nothing really stood out to me.

This is the main piazza. Every summer there is a bare back horse race held here and each district entering a horse and rider. It is a big deal and can get very emotional both for the riders and spectators. I've only seen pictures but it's amazing to see the piazza turned into a race track especially as it's slanted....with cobblestones.
We let Graham loose because we knew he would get no freedom on the streets as we tried to navigate through different tour groups.

Once the water faucet was discovered the pigeons could lead a more peaceful existence.

Have we mentioned we like pork?

We were happy to discover that along with all the old tours we've previously experience there have been some additions. With the purchase of a combo ticket we were able to climb up above a museum after visiting its displays we got a spectacular roof top view of the city.....

...and visit the cathedral which is ornate to say the least.


It is very difficult to describe this church. Every square inch is covered with something: a statue of a grim faced Pope, a fresco, a molding, marble tiles, stories and biblical scene told in every medium. You just kinda leave in overload.

Our ticket also allowed us into the baptistery where we discovered one of the first members of the Mickey Mouse Club...but he had to keep it on the DL because it would have interfered with his normal duties.
This ornate carving also induce laughter because the delivery of John the Baptist head during meal time seems to have been a bit unsettling. I guess he thought they were bringing him something a bit more appetizing.

We then ventured out a bit, had a great (but slow) lunch, found a grocery store to bring home some goods, and of course one more gelato with several flavors to enhance the experience.

Near our gelato consumption were some school children practicing some type of flag throwing ceremony. It was very entertaining while we devoured the sweet stuff.

After this we headed back to Florence to finish our packing. We took a nap at midnight and got up at one so we could catch a 2AM train ride to Bologna. Then we hung out at the airport for few hours until our 7AM boarding time. So even though we didn't travel a great distance we were still a bit jet lagged for having traveled all night by train, plane, and then automobile finally arriving not home but at some friends who were caring for the boys. After a few hours of sleep we were awoken by some monkeys who were very happy to see us....and the goodies we brought them.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so I want that picture of the 3 of you, I really like it. And Reggie really likes the one of Graham covered in geleto. And I still think you should do a travelogue, you are such a good, entertaining writer. I love your commentary on the dapper old man.

    ReplyDelete