Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Wife Beater

This is Sheep Mountain, a beautiful area two hours from Anchorage along the Glenn Highway.


Sheep Mountain Lodge is where hundreds gather each year for a two day event called.....
The Fireweed 400.

One can ride or race depending on what you choose: the 400 miles to Valdez and back in a day, 200 miles to Valdez, a 100 mile ride, or a 50 mile ride. The rides/races are divided up into solo, team, time trial, fat tire, tandem, and other different events. Chris has participated in the 100 mile event several times but this year chose to only do the 50 mile ride with.....


ME! I asked my dad to join me as I knew Chris and I would both participate in the event but not actually ride together. I knew my dad would go at whatever pace I could muster and keep me company and talk me through fixing a flat if that should happen. In the months leading up to this we were excited to learn my mother in law also was interested in doing the ride this year as well.


So Chris, who wanted to just kill it lined up at the front....

and us first timers, who didn't want to get in anyone's way, lined up in the back.
As the flag dropped Chris took the lead and kept it, beating me (of course)
my dad, his mother, and everyone else coming in first place at

2hr. 18 mins. 30 sec.

He smoked us all with the second place rider coming in 13 minutes behind him. He was so far ahead he never had a chance to draft anyone. If he could have it would have taken even less time.


As we took off our threesome was near the back of the pack but that didn't last long as the first hill came up moments in the ride. I was not sure what to expect from the ride and myself. I knew there would be hills, cross winds, head winds, and a possible chance of rain.


The first timers set a goal of 4 hours to complete the ride and not only did we achieve that but

did it in about 3 Hrs. 45 minutes.....
...and wearing SMILES.
The hills were tough, as I've had very little training on them, but I was never cursing my decision to do the ride. I went into it a bit naive because I didn't want to freak myself out by studying the profile too intently. I am grateful for all of Chris' training tips and eating strategies for the ride. I never lost power but was ready to be done by the end. After I felt really good; just a bit of a sore lower back and thighs.

I wonder if any of the boys will ever be interested in racing with us...

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Chris! And to you Michelle for doing something new. You guys are great and such good examples to your kids of being active and busy.

    ReplyDelete