Monday, July 5, 2010

Celebrating the 4th

To keep the jet lag at bay one must keep moving....because as soon as you sit down you are out.
To inaugurate the 4th of July weekend I headed to Girdwood to the Annual Forest Fair with my Sister Lauren and her baby Hunter, my Mom and her Sister Cathrine.....

...and of course with Marjory. It's just not a real hippie festival without her.

The music was great....

but the food was even better! I had my favorite Blue Corn Tamale with Southwestern Chipolte Sauce. I rarely buy anything when I go but just love looking at all the handmade items set up in tents in the forest.


While I had some girl time in the woods the boys were a little farther north along the inlet hangin' with some of our favorite people at their camping spot for the day.

Graham had an unfortunate fall against a boulder leaving his left cheek with a huge shiner.

Our intent was to keep the boys moving and there is no better way then for them than to meet up with the Kent kids who they love and idolize in many ways.



We didn't have any crazy animal encounters but we did discover that American Marshmallows are not helping Americans with their portion control. One marshmallow now equals 4 regulars. These things were huge! I love mine burned and blackened and I got about 5 layers off with just one marshmallow.
The boys played and played....
and didn't want to leave when it was time to go. Of course they fussed and fought it but after we finally got them into the car they fell asleep before we got out of the campground....about 30 seconds.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you made it to Alaska okay. You are probably glad for the cooler temp. Sorry we couldn't be there this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading your travelogue. I cannot believe your entertainment on the first flight though! And that people actually do that.

    Wish we had spent the 4th with you, it looks like so much fun and we really miss family. Plus you'll read about our misadventures after I post it later tonight . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah for having to wear warm clothes!!! I am glad you are enjoying AK. Looks like fun, fun, fun. I think you are pretty darn amazing by the way. xo

    ReplyDelete